Hello, fellow creative! Our agency is expanding, and we're looking for an aspiring Junior Copywriter with a passion and critical thinking for writing in web and video. Tech and entertainment brands disrupting their markets get us up in the morning and we're always looking for like minded folks to push boundaries with us. We like to keep the energy high, the snacks stocked, and the culture tight.
You’ll primarily deal in words and strategy while playing a key role in each project’s success by participating in team concepting and staying on pace in a high production environment.
This position is for our Victoria, BC office. Only candidates within Victoria or willing to relocate will be considered.
Who you are
- A wordsmith with a desire to go beyond blog writing and dig deeper to tell strategic stories.
- Passionate about learning and growing as a Copywriter and in exploring areas related to cutting-edge technology and entertainment.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment, shifting fluidly between projects and modern tools (Google Drive, Google Docs, Slack, Zoom etc.).
- Have the initiative to ask curious questions, contribute ideas, and set others on your team up for success.
- Push yourself to hit a high quality bar in focused, independent work, and respond positively to guidance and feedback in a collaborative environment.
What you'll be doing
Working within One Net’s highly refined process, you will be a part of bringing websites, videos, email campaigns, pitch decks, and other collateral to life. Here’s how you’ll help make it happen.
Lead with strategy:
Every project at One Net begins with solid research. You will be responsible for contributing to the following under the guidance of a Senior Copywriter:
- Audience analysis, competitor analysis, and creating an information architecture
- Strategic positioning and messaging
- Listen in on client and customer interviews to gather context
- Deep dive into technical products and understand them quickly
- Stay on the pulse of key industry and technology trends
Execute approved strategy:
Following approved direction from the client, you will put pen to paper and bring it to life:
- Write copy and collaborate closely with the Senior Copywriter to ensure it is communicating the approved strategy
- Explore a range of voices and styles for varied projects with diverse audiences, particularly in the realm of B2B. See examples on our website.
- Present ideas and copy choices internally with strong rationale, grounded in research
- Participate in concepting sessions where you collaborate with designers to ensure that the copy and design are in harmony
- Execute revisions efficiently from both internal and external feedback
What we're looking for
- College diploma or university degree in Business, Marketing, Psychology, Communications, or other related degree. OR equivalent of 3+ years experience writing copy (preferably beyond blog posts or articles)
- Ability to think on your feet and come up with creative angles that feel fresh and modern
- Expert in Google Docs and Google Drive
- Minimum 80 WPM typing speed
- Ability to quickly learn and understand technical B2B software products; particularly in AI, devops, security, web3 and big data
- A disciplined approach to managing your own projects
- Attention to detail and immaculate file organization
- Basic understanding of keyword research and on-page SEO
Tools our copywriters are fluent in:
- Google Sheets
- (Webflow, Contentful, WordPress, Mailchimp)
- Google Analytics
- Google Ads
What you can expect
We’re proud of our culture, and consider everybody part of our work fam. We have monthly team outings, quarterly parties, unlimited snacks, pets in the office, required vacation—and even the occasional happy hour. Here are some more of our perks:
- Exciting tech & entertainment clients in an ever-changing landscape
- Competitive compensation
- Profit sharing
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP)
- Great benefits: dental, optometry, prescription, paramedical
- Employee assistance plan (EAP)
- Healthy living allowance
- Self education allowance
- A paid week off during the holidays (not counted as vacation)
- An organization with strong core values
- A team oriented and collaborative environment
- Quarterly group activities and an annual retreat
- Bring your dog to work
- Downtown office location
- Flex hours
An asset, but not required:
- A keen interest in positioning and branding
- A love for storytelling
- Experience in conversion optimization
- Experience with content management systems, such as WordPress, Webflow, Contentful, and Mailchimp
How to apply
Job Type: This is a full time salaried position in Victoria, BC. One Net is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience where everyone is treated with respect.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Junior Copywriter". Emails with a different subject line will not be routed to HR hiring and risk not being seen. Include links to personal projects in your cover letter and resume. If you have no writing examples, wow us with your creative and strategic writing skills in your cover letter. Cover letters can be in the form of an email.
This position is for Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, or foreign nationals with a valid Canadian work permit. One Net will not sponsor work or immigration visas at this time.
Are you a contractor (freelancer)?
One Net often hires value-added contractors (freelancers) in the areas of design, illustration, animation, web development, and video production. If you are a contractor interested in working with our agency, please send your resume and work examples to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants who apply; however, after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.